Rutherford Request for Applicants
“Rutherford’s Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy” is the most visible, recognizable, and credible source textbook for the specialty of vascular surgery. It sets the standard for all other textbooks in the field.
This Request for Applications (RFA) is a call for chief editors who want to serve as primary authors to submit a proposal for consideration and selection as Editors for the 12th Edition (2030). Proposals are due no later than 5 p.m. CDT, Thursday, Sept. 21.
The Rutherford textbook has grown to 2,800 pages with over 200 individual chapter submissions as vascular surgery as a specialty has grown and matured over the years. Content has grown far beyond the essential components that define clinical care for vascular patients to include impacts on providing clinical care such as health economics, leadership skill development, unique practice settings such as the OBL, and the integration of new technologies.
Rutherford is produced in a four-year cycle. Drs. Anton Sidawy, Bruce Perler and Linda Harris, have been named Editors of Rutherford for the 11th Edition, to be published in 2026.
The Society for Vascular Surgery Publications Committee will review proposals and select up to three to four people for virtual interviews in November, for selection and approval by the SVS Executive Board in December. Once selected, the editors will “shadow” Drs. Sidawy, Perler and Harris to learn the process so the new team can hit the ground running for the 12th Edition.
Please submit a written proposal that addresses the following:
- Proposed editorial team composition with relevant background and rationale of approach, and strengths of individual team members including, but not limited to:
- Previous editorial experience
- Previous book authorship/publishing experience/multi-channel delivery of content
- Professional reputation i.e. objectivity, quality, inclusion and equity
- Ability to assess, compile, and edit content within full spectrum of vascular surgery i.e.
- Arterial and venous
- Open and Endovascular
- Medical management
- Basic science and clinical research
- Clinical management and population health
- Innovations and new advances
- Management experience and leadership success in delivering large, complex projects on time and on budget by building effective teams plus the ability to create, inspire, and sustain a strong editorial board. Specifically, what strategies will you deploy to recruit authors and ensure they deliver on time.
- Your Team’s vision and original concepts for improving and optimizing Rutherford in the 12th Edition, including experience beyond traditional book publishing to multi-channel delivery of content.