Updated August, 2018
- Information collection
- Children’s Information
- Information Use
- Information Sharing
- Access to and Control of Information
- Data Security
- Data Retention
- Data Transfer
- External Links
- SVS Contact Information
Information Provided Voluntarily
• Member Contact Information: We will collect personal information that you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name, date of birth, employer’s name, job title, mailing address(es), e-mail address(es), telephone number(s), fax number, and photograph. Such information is necessary to facilitate your access to, use of, purchase of, or participation in our service and product offerings, including, but not limited to: membership; events, meetings, or conferences; educational programs; and online forums. Please note that you may decline to share your personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide you with certain aspects of our services or products.
• Payment Information: If you choose to purchase a product or service, we and/or our third-party payment processors will collect your payment information, including, but not limited to, your credit or debit card number, card verification value (CVV) number, and expiration date.
Information Collected Automatically • Automated Information: Your web browser or mobile device automatically provides information when you visit the Site, including, but not limited to, your Internet Protocol (IP) address or unique device identifier.
• Log Files: Log files store information such as a user’s IP address, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. Like most websites, the Site uses log files to analyze trends, administer the Site, and track users’ movement on the Site.
The Site and our services and products are not directed toward children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect information from children. If we become aware that a child has provided us with information without parental consent, that information will be deleted from our records.
SVS uses the information that we collect to provide our services and products and to operate our business. We may use and store such information for legitimate and lawful business purposes, for example, in order to:
• provide a service or product you requested;
• secure your membership status;
• fulfill your membership benefits;
• analyze and evaluate member and prospective member needs and interests, and improve the member and prospective member experience;
• notify you of SVS official business, news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, services, products, and benefits;
• send occasional email communications on behalf of vendors;
• track event, meeting, and conference attendance;
• track education related activities;
• prepare invoices and process payments;
• respond to communications and inquiries that you send to us;
• respond to a notice of alleged copyright infringement;
• promote the function, safety, and security of our services; and
• for other legitimate and lawful business purposes.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area, we rely on multiple legal bases to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, including that:
• you have given consent, which you may withdraw at any time;
• it is necessary for us to perform a contract with you;
• it is necessary for us to comply with legal obligations;
• it is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interests;
• it is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions; and/or
• it is necessary to protect someone’s life.
To the extent we rely on our legitimate interests as a legal basis to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, those interests include: providing a product or service you requested; securing your membership status; fulfilling your membership benefits; analyzing and evaluating member and prospective member needs and interests, and improving the member and prospective member experience; notifying you of SVS official business, news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, services, products, and benefits; sending occasional email communications on behalf of vendors; tracking event, meeting, and conference attendance; tracking education related activities; preparing invoices and process payments; responding to communications and inquiries that you send to us; responding to a notice of alleged copyright infringement; and promoting the function, safety, and security of our services.
Personal information may be given to a third party in order to complete a specific business transaction on behalf of SVS or for such other purposes as SVS deems to be in the best interests of SVS or the specialty. Such transactions and purposes may include the following:
• Your name and contact information, as provided to SVS, may be shared with SVS members to provide a service, satisfy a question, or develop a prospective business relationship. We are not responsible for members’ use or misuse of your personal information.
• Your name and contact information, as provided to SVS, may appear on registration or attendee lists distributed at SVS programs, events, meetings, and conferences to other attendees, including members, and other third parties, including, but not limited to, exhibitors or sponsors. We are not responsible for use or misuse of your personal information by exhibitors, sponsors, or the like.
• Your name and contact information, as provided to SVS, may appear on SVS member lists, and may be shared with our affiliated organizations and other vascular or healthcare related organizations (including state, regional and international vascular societies). Such organizations may use your information for the purpose of sending you information and materials related to membership, educational opportunities and products, conferences, and other opportunities. We are not responsible for use or misuse of your personal information by such organizations.
• We may share your personal information with third-parties that provide services to SVS including, but not limited to, administration/operation support; marketing, promotions, and communications; program, event, meeting, or conference enrollment, registration, planning, hosting, or management; website hosting; database management; payment card processing; or other data processing.
• We also may disclose personal information if we become subject to a subpoena, court order, or law enforcement or other government agency inquiry or investigation or if we are otherwise legally required to disclose such information. We also may use and disclose information about you to establish or exercise our legal rights, to enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use, to assert and defend against legal claims, or if we believe such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding actual or suspected illegal or fraudulent activities or potential threats to the physical safety or well-being of any person.
• If all or part of SVS is merged into or otherwise transferred to another entity, we may transfer the personal information you provided to us to such entity as part of that transaction.
SVS works with various organizations and individuals to help provide services to you, such as website and data hosting companies and companies providing analytics information, like Google Analytics. We may share your personal information with our Service Providers for the purpose of providing the Services. The information we share to our Service Providers may include both information you provide to us and information we collect about you, including Personal Data and information from data collection tools like cookies, web beacons, log files, Unique Identifiers, and location data. SVS takes reasonable steps to ensure that our Service Providers are obligated to reasonably protect your information on SVS's behalf. If SVS becomes aware that a Service Provider is using or disclosing information improperly, we will take commercially reasonable steps to end or correct such improper use or disclosure.
We use Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager and Doubleclick trackers. You may review how they operate and manage your privacy settings at https://privacy.google.com
Google Analytics is used to improve the user experience of our website by providing statistics on site usage and pages visited. To opt out of Google Analytics, see https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Google Tag Manager is used to manage functionality and improve the performance of the website. DoubleClick is used to select and display advertisements on websites. You may review your preferences and opt out at https://www.google.com/settings/ads?hl=en
Additionally, you can review Google's privacy policies at https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
Typekit by Adobe
Access to and Control of Information
SVS takes your privacy and the protection of your personal information seriously, and we will provide you with reasonable access to and control of the personal information that you have provided to us. You may request to update your personal information or to opt in to or opt out of any service offerings at any time.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area, you may have additional rights concerning your personal data, such as to access, obtain a copy of, correct, or delete that information or to withdraw your consent or object to the collection, use, sharing, or other processing of that information. To make any request with respect to your personal information, please contact SVS as set forth below in the “SVS Contact Information” section.
We employ reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural security measures to safeguard your personal information and to help protect against unauthorized access and disclosure. Online registration information, such as payment card information, will be secured using a commercially accepted method of encryption. However, please be aware that no method of electronic transmission is completely infallible, and we cannot guarantee its absolute safety. We encourage you to use reasonable care in how you handle and disclose your personal information, user name(s), and password(s). If you become aware of any breach of Site security, please contact us immediately.
If you are visiting the Site from outside the United States, please be aware that you are sending information, including personal data, to the United States where our servers are located. That information may then be transferred within the United States or to other countries outside the United States other than your country of residence. Countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, may have data privacy and protection laws that differ from, and potentially provide less protection than, the applicable laws in your country of residence.
There are external links to other websites throughout the Site. Please note that SVS is not responsible for the privacy policies of those other websites and hereby disclaims any liability or responsibility in connection with such linked websites.
SVS Contact Information
Society for Vascular Surgery
9400 W. Higgins Rd., Suite 315
Rosemont, Ill. 60018-4975
Telephone: 312-334-2300 / 800-258-7188