SVS recognizes the growing importance of vascular surgery worldwide. As of 2022, there were SVS members in 50 countries.
SVS International membership is available to surgeons outside the United States and Canada. Applications are now reviewed on a quarterly basis. Deadlines are on the first of the month in March, June, September and December.
SVS Membership Benefits
- Exclusive use of SVS member logo in correspondence and practice information
- Discounted dues for members in some countries
- Discounted Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM) registration fees for many countries
- Free online subscriptions to Journal of Vascular Surgery and Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders
- Eligibility to compete for SVS awards and scholarships including international traveling fellowship
- Opportunity to participate in the International Forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM)
- International guest reception immediately following the International Forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM)
- International members also enjoy the full benefits of membership, except they cannot vote on society business, hold elected office or serve as members of the Councils or Board of Directors.
Vascular Annual Meeting
The Vascular Annual Meeting is considered the premier meeting on vascular health. In addition to the outstanding sessions presented by leading vascular surgeons, the meeting offers opportunities to network with colleagues, experience the latest technology, and share knowledge. World-renowned researchers present their studies and findings during the meeting. Postgraduate courses provide in-depth knowledge on current vascular health topics.
International Chapter Forum
The 2022 International Chapter Forum featured research by authors from throughout the world. The forum took place on Thursday, June 16 at the 2022 Vascular Annual Meeting in Boston. Talks from around the world were selected for this session.
International Scholars Program
The International Scholars Program provides scholarships to four qualified young vascular surgeons from countries outside North America to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting and visit medical and university sites following the meeting to observe clinical, teaching, and research activities in the United States and Canada. Since 2008, SVS has hosted more than 30 scholars from all over the world, including countries such Australia, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ireland, Latvia, Peru, Russia, Thailand, and Turkey. The scholarship program is funded in part by the Haimovici Endowment.
SVS International Chapters
There are 13 existing SVS International chapters. International members are welcome to create international chapters in their country or region.
Global Benefits of International Chapters
- Close ties among vascular specialists worldwide will benefit the specialty by providing a global perspective
- An opportunity for international societies to affiliate with the premier vascular society in North America
- Access to a Speakers Bureau for international meetings
- Opportunity to participate in an international paper forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM)
Existing International Chapters
President: Mariano Ferreira
Vice-President: Guillermo Garelli
Secretary: Elvio Demicheli
Secretary Substitute: Javier Rodriguez Asensio
Medical Auditor: Jorge Valdecantos
President: Arno von Ristow
Vice-President: Gutenberg Amaral Gurgel
General Secretary: Marcelo Rodrigo de Souza Moraes
Past President: Fausto Miranda Jr.
Chilean Chapter (The Chilean Society of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery)
President: Gustavo Sepúlveda
Vice-President: Cristian Salas
Secretary: Gabriel Cassorla
Treasurer: Francisco Vargas
Chilean Chapter Bylaws
President: Zhong Chen
Vice-President(s): Changwei Liu, Zaiping Jing, Weiguo Fu, Zhong Chen, Wei Guo
Secretary General: Wei Guo
Vice Secretary General: JinSong Wang
Upcoming Meeting: Marzo 8-11 de 2023
President: Alvaro Delgado Beltran
Vice-President: Hector Jimenez
Secretary: Juan Fernando Muñoz
Secretary Substitute: Juan Guillermo Barrera
Medical Auditor: John Berrio
President: Ashraf M. Hidayet
President Elect: Hassan Soliman
Vice President: Saeed Al Mallah
Secretary General: Ahmed A. Taha
Hungarian Chapter (Emerick D. Szilágyi Society)
President: Csaba Dzsinics
Secretary: Lajos Matyas
Treasurer: István Mogan
President: Kumud Rai
President: Carlo Setacci
Vice-President: Piergiorgio Settembrini
Secretary: Piergiorgio Cao
President: Kimihiro Komori
President: Daphne Nunille Gonzalez, MD
José Antonio Muñao Prado, MD
Ignacio Escotto Sánchez, MD
Vanessa Rubio Escudero, MD
President: Piotr Myrcha
Secretary: Stanisław Przywara
President: Chiao-Po Hsu
Vice-President: Po-Jen Ko, I-Hui Wu
General Secretary: Yi-Ting Tsai
How to Develop an SVS Chapter
- There must be 15 SVS members in the country or region
- Proposed bylaws and officers must be developed
- Chapter status must be requested from SVS
- Detailed procedures to establish an international chapter.
International Relations Committee
The SVS International Relations Committee initiates and oversees SVS international activities.