International Scholars Program
The International Scholars Program provides scholarships for up to four qualified young vascular surgeons from countries outside Canada and the United States.
Applications for 2023 closed on December 31st, 2022, applications for the 2024 program will open at the end of the year.
Winning scholar recipients are expected to spend approximately two weeks in the U.S. to visit various universities and clinics, and attend the 2023 Vascular Annual Meeting, to be held June 14-17, 2023 in National Harbor, Maryland
Working with a mentor, the scholar will visit clinical, teaching and research programs. Visits may be scheduled prior to the Vascular Annual Meeting, post meeting, or a combination of both. Scholars will work with mentors to schedule activities.
A letter is required from each scholar’s supervisor, indicating that dates of travel have been approved.
Scholars are expected to submit a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours and attend the International Forum during the Vascular Annual Meeting to receive their award.
“Participating in the SVS Scholarship program gave me a unique opportunity to be involved in the everyday life of leading vascular units in the United States.”
-- Dr. Damir Vakhitov, Kangasala, Finland, 2017 International Scholar
Scholar recipients receive a $5,000 stipend, which is presented during the International Reception, to defray travel costs and living expenses associated with the trip.
Scholars also receive complimentary registration to the Vascular Annual Meeting, which includes all lectures, demonstrations, exhibits and postgraduate courses.
Please send your application and direct any questions to email@example.com.
List of Required Application Materials
(Application and accompanying materials must be in English)
- Application Form
- Personal statement (300 word limit)
- Personal statement should describe your interest and accomplishments in vascular surgery and how the fellowship will help you in care of your vascular patients.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Letters must be submitted on sponsor's official company letterhead
- One letter of recommendation must be from the chair of the department in which they hold an academic appointment or a member of the Society for Vascular Surgery who resides in the applicant’s country
- The letter from the chair or SVS member must include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant
- List of publications
- Three completed publication reprints of your choice
- Abstracts are acceptable, but full manuscripts preferred
- Curriculum Vitae of no more than 10 pages
“I was so impressed by the strength of the SVS, by the expertise, enthusiasm, dedication and kindness of the vascular surgeons I shadowed, and thrilled by the collaboration achieved during the visit. All of this will inspire me forever as I pursue my own career in the future.”
- -Dr. Zilun Li, Guangzhou, China, 2017 International Scholar
To qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Applicant must be a graduate of a school of medicine.
- Applicants must be no older than 40 in the year they submit their application.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at the intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country.
- Applicants must have at least one year and a maximum of 5 years teaching experience. Applicants whose careers are in the developing stage are deemed more suitable. Those applicants who are serving in senior academic appointments will be excluded.
- The International Scholars Award must be used in the year for which it is designated. It may not be postponed.
- Must have strong proficiency in English to benefit fully.
- Scholars must be present at the Vascular Annual Meeting in order to receive their award (including the International Forum, International Fast-Talk, and International Reception).
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application form, along with updated supporting documentation.
Selection and Notification
Applications are reviewed by the International Relations Committee.
- Programs Interested in Hosting International Scholars
- SVS International Scholars
The Society for Vascular Surgery International Relations Committee would like to further identify sites which can accommodate an International Scholar for a one to two week training period. This would standardize a pathway to a broader scope of applicants who are at potential disadvantage due to lack of familiarity with programs in the United States. Participation in this SVS sponsored process can give international recognition to participating institutions.
To submit your request for participation as a site for the International Scholars Program, please download and complete the application form. It is important to provide a strong educational experience and be able to mentor the visiting scholar after completion of the experience.
For more information, questions, or inquiries, please contact Emily Milkes at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 334-2313.
Please contact staff at email@example.com or 312-334-2342.
9400 W. Higgins Road
Rosemont, IL 60118