You are here
Research Career Development Travel Awards
Submission deadline: To be announced
The SVS Foundation announces the Research Career Development Travel Awards program. The purpose of the awards program is to identify early-career vascular surgeons with an interest in basic science, translational or clinical research and provide them with a SVS research mentor and funds to attend an established research career development course.
The program’s overall goal is to develop strong leaders in vascular surgery research who will, over time, exhibit the accomplishments of vascular surgeons recognized for their contributions in vascular basic science, translational, or clinical research through continued grant support or mentoring of other researchers.
The recipients will be assigned SVS research mentors to provide guidance and discuss academic career advancement, including other available resources and opportunities. The recipients will be awarded financial support, to be used for travel, hotel accommodations, and registration expenses to attend an established research course, such as those offered by the Association for Academic Surgery (AAS), the Society of University Surgeons (SUS) and the American College of Surgeons (ACS). The amount of the financial support is contingent on the course selected, but will not exceed $1500.
- AAS Fundamentals of Surgical Research Course
- AAS Career Development Course
- AAS/SUS Surgical Investigators’ Course: The Grant Writing Workshop
- American College of Surgeons Health Services Research Methods Course
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute Workshop or Meeting
Applicants must be a SVS Candidate or Active Member who has completed postgraduate clinical training in vascular surgery and has been in practice no more than 7 years.
SVS Foundation is invested in a process that assures diversity, equity and inclusion for our award and scholarship opportunities. We encourage enthusiastic, eligible applicants from all aspects of gender, sexual orientation, and ethnicity to apply.
Applicants should submit a complete application via the online application submission site which includes:
- A description of how you will use the award to advance your research career and specific career goals, including:
- which course you plan to attend, why you would benefit from attending, and what you hope to gain from the experience (500 words maximum)
- a budget, not to exceed $1500, estimating travel, hotel accommodations, and registration expenses for the course
- a general overview of your academic career and research history (500 words maximum)
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter must be from the applicant’s division or department chair and should include how the department has supported and will continue to support the research career of the applicant.
Applications will be reviewed by the SVS Research Council. The award funds will be paid to your institution. Your institution will be responsible for reimbursing you for your travel expenses from the award funds.
Within 6 months of completing the program, the recipients will submit a report to the SVS Research Council. The report should be one to two double-spaced typewritten pages and should summarize the course and mentorship experience. Although factual statements of activities should be included, recipients are encouraged to place these within an overall context of the impact on their research career development.
For questions, telephone 1-800-258-7188 or email email@example.com