Coding and Reimbursement
SVS Coding Committee
The SVS Coding Committee oversees SVS CPT, RUC and ICD coding activities, as well as:
- Participates in RUC and CPT Editorial Panel meetings, representing the interests of vascular surgeons.
- Comments on administrative actions such as NCCI edits, national and local coverage decisions.
- Provides content and faculty for SVS education efforts on coding and reimbursement.
- Reviews comments on regulatory issues before they are submitted to CMS.
- Annually reviews coding section of VascularWeb and advise staff on content.
RVS Update Committee (RUC)
The RUC is a unique multispecialty committee dedicated to describing the resources required to provide physician services which the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) considers in developing Relative Value Units (RVUs). Although the RUC provides recommendations, CMS makes all final decisions about what Medicare payments will be.
Current Procedural Terminology (CPT)
The Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes offer doctors and health care professionals a uniform language for coding medical services and procedures to streamline reporting, increase accuracy and efficiency.
CPT codes are also used for administrative management purposes such as claims processing and developing guidelines for medical care review.
Webinars and Resources
- SVS, VQI Respond to CMS Proposal, February 2023
- Coding and Reimbursement Webinar, April 2021
- Medicare Fee Schedule: 2021 Physician Payment Impact
- Coding and Billing: The Basics webinar, March 2020
- Mastering the New EVR Coding Landscape, December 2018
- Payer Relations
December 2020: SVS Member Named to AMA RUC
January 2020: Coding and Reimbursement Committee experiences lead to greater sense of awareness