Translating Guidelines into Practice: Management of Patients with Varicose Veins of the Lower Extremities
This session is based on the 2022 Society for Vascular Surgery, American Venous Forum, and American Vein and Lymphatic Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Varicose Veins of the Lower Extremities.
Pre- and Post-Course Surveys
Before you watch the recording, you are encouraged to take the roundtable pre-survey to evaluate if the guideline recommendations are easy to translate into daily clinical practice.
Once you have completed the recording, you are encouraged to take the post-survey. This will help gauge what you have learned.
This session will be helpful in expanding physician knowledge base and improving clinical confidence and effectiveness in treating patients with varicose veins. The session will address diagnostic evaluation of patients with varicose veins, using duplex scanning to confirm pathologic superficial truncal reflux. The session will also cover compression therapy, open surgical and percutaneous endovenous therapies for lower extremity varicosities, including thermal and non-thermal ablations of the great, small and accessory saphenous veins. The treatment of perforating veins and the concomitant treatment of varicose tributaries with sclerotherapy or mini-phlebectomy will also be discussed.
- Gloviczki P, Lawrence PF, Wasan SM, Meissner MH, Almeida J, Brown K, et al.
The 2022 Society for Vascular Surgery, American Venous Forum, and American Vein and Lymphatic Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Varicose Veins of the Lower Extremities.J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvsv.2022.09.004.
- Farah MH, Nayfeh T, Urtecho M, Hasan B, Amin M, Sen I, Wang Z, Prokop LJ, Lawrence PF, Gloviczki P, Murad MH. A systematic review supporting the Society for Vascular Surgery, the American Venous Forum, and the American Vein and Lymphatic Society guidelines on the management of varicose veins. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2022 Sep;10(5):1155-1171.
- Lurie F, Passman M, Meisner M, Dalsing M, Masuda E, Welch H, Bush RL, Blebea J, Carpentier PH, De Maeseneer M, Gasparis A, Labropoulos N, Marston WA, Rafetto J, Santiago F, Shortell C, Uhl JF, Urbanek T, van Rij A, Eklof B, Gloviczki P, Kistner R, Lawrence P, Moneta G, Padberg F, Perrin M, Wakefield T. The 2020 update of the CEAP classification system and reporting standards. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2020 May;8(3):342-352.
- Masuda E, Ozsvath K, Vossler J, Woo K, Kistner R, Lurie F, Monahan D, Brown W, Labropoulos N, Dalsing M, Khilnani N, Wakefield T, Gloviczki P. The 2020 appropriate use criteria for chronic lower extremity venous disease of the American Venous Forum, the Society for Vascular Surgery, the American Vein and Lymphatic Society, and the Society of Interventional Radiology. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2020 Jul;8(4):505-525.e4.
- Gloviczki P, Comerota AJ, Dalsing MC, Eklof BG, Gillespie DL, Gloviczki ML, Lohr JM, McLafferty RB, Meissner MH, Murad MH, Padberg FT, Pappas PJ, Passman MA, Raffetto JD, Vasquez MA, Wakefield TW; Society for Vascular Surgery; American Venous Forum. The care of patients with varicose veins and associated chronic venous diseases: clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery and the American Venous Forum. J Vasc Surg. 2011 May;53(5 Suppl):2S-48S.
- Bhushan R, Lebwohl MG, Gottlieb AB, Boyer K, Hamarstrom E, Korman NJ, Kirsner RS, Sober AJ, et al. Translating Psoriasis Guidelines into Practice. Important Gaps revealed. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015