HOW MEDICARE QUALITY REQUIREMENTS WILL IMPACT REIMBURSEMENT AND PRACTICAL TIPS TO SUCCESSFULLY MEET THEM
Vascular surgeons have repeatedly acknowledged financial threats to the specialty secondary to changes in reimbursement and government policies, specifically those involving the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Vascular surgeons must be empowered to navigate current and future requirements and regulations to both ensure continued high-quality care for their patients and also to preserve their financial viability. All providers who submit claims to CMS, regardless of practice setting, are required to submit quality measures as part of the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Quality Payment Program (QPP) or through an Alternative Payment Model (APM). While many SVS members may not be directly involved with QPP reporting currently, there are new requirements anticipated in the near term that have direct implications for all. The SVS Quality and Performance Measures Committee (QPMC) is working to develop vascular-specific MIPS Value Pathways (MVPs) that optimize reporting and payment structure for vascular specialists.
The SVS Quality Improvement Committee (QIC) is working to provide specific examples of how to execute qualifying activities for MVP participation. Vascular surgeons are strongly encouraged to attend this webinar to fully understand these policies, and how to comply with them, to prevent reimbursement penalties with the rollout of the future CMS rules.
- To educate the specialty on the impact and relevance of changes in CMS quality reporting policy to all vascular specialists who submit claims to Medicare.
- To provide updates on efforts by the SVS QPMC to develop vascular-specific MIPS Value Pathways.
- To provide specific examples of how to execute a qualifying Quality Improvement Activity.
- Foundational education on the CMS requirements for quality reporting for all providers who submit claims to Medicare.
- The importance of setting an employment structure - regardless of practice type.
- Example of what a QPP report entails including a summary of how measures are reported and how performance is captured and graded by CMS.
- Understanding the work the QPMC is doing on MIPS Value Pathways with a focus on the role of measuring and reporting the quality of care provided.
- Discussion of anticipated changes from CMS.
- Examples of executing initiatives that would qualify as Quality Improvement Activities.
- Audience Q&A