You are here
Diabetes and Vascular Disease
Resources for patients, families and physicians
Considered one of the largest global health emergencies, diabetes is dangerous in large part because high blood sugar damages blood vessels. It also magnifies the effects of other health complications.
For Patients and Families - How Diabetes Affects Vascular Health
For more information, see:
- Type of Diabetes Suggests Different Treatment Algorithm for Chronic Limb-Threatening Ischemia
- Have Diabetes? A Few Simple Steps May Keep Your Feet Healthy
- African Americans, Diabetes and Amputation Trends. African Americans with diabetes face higher risk of preventable amputations.
- Six Diabetes-Related Vascular Complications. What impact does high blood sugar have on different parts of the body? [Infographic]
- Answers to Your FAQs About Diabetes and Leg Artery Disease By SVS member Dr. George Andros
- Regular Walks Give Diabetics a Leg Up on Health
- Diabetic foot care. How to keep your feet healthy.
- Diabetic foot resources from the APMA (American Podiatric Medical Association)
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Peripheral neuropathy information from the APMA
- Kidney problems. Diabetes can impact the blood vessels that serve the kidneys. This can lead to kidney vailure, dialysis and/or a kidney transplant
- Heart attack and stroke. Both can be caused by vascular damage, which is increased by diabetes. Learn more about how vascular disease can cause stroke.
Related illnesses of concern to patients with diabetes:
Recent diabetes-related articles from the Journal for Vascular Surgery:
Lower Limb Amputations in Patients With Diabetes and Peripheral Artery Disease: A Time-Series of Trends (2005-2016). Sept. 2018
Treatment outcomes in diabetic patients with chronic limb-threatening ischemia. Feb. 2018
Topical Oxygen Therapy Closes Chronic Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Sept. 2017
Location of Diabetic Foot Ulcer Affects Wound Outcomes. June 2017
Predictors of Unplanned 30-Day Readmission in Diabetic Foot Wounds. Mar. 2017
Rethinking Diabetes Oct. 25, 2018
The importance of excersize when you have diabetes Sept. 25, 2018
Interactive clinical practice guidelines app