SVS Diversity Medical Student Vascular Annual Meeting Travel Scholarship
The submission period is now closed: Jan. 9, 2023 at 3pm CST (4pm EST)
Sponsored by the Resident and Student Outreach Committee (RSOC), SVS offers a Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship to provide aspiring vascular surgeons with an opportunity to attend the June 14-17, 2023 Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM) in National Harbor, MD, and to enhance the professional network of medical students from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities within the vascular surgery specialty.
During the meeting, students will be able to attend scientific sessions and network with leaders in the field to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease. Scholarship recipients will also have the opportunity to attend didactic lectures geared specially toward them, as well as participate in a residency fair.
Applicants should have an SVS account before submitting an application. Click here to create an account if you don't already have one.
- A financial award to be used toward the cost of travel expenses of the VAM*
- Complimentary meeting registration
- Opportunity to participate in a mock interview practice session
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed.
- Active interest in vascular surgery
- Currently enrolled as:
- Medical Student; or
- Pre-Med Student
- Be part of a minority group based on gender or ethnicity
- LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note that while local residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award, they are encouraged to apply in order to receive complimentary registration. Be sure to select "local student/resident" on the application form.
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing demographic information such as ethnicity, training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
Statement of Interest
Applicants must provide a written statement, no longer than 200 words, regarding their interest in vascular surgery and why they want to attend the VAM.
Applying for Multiple SVS Scholarships:
Please note students are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award.
Applications will undergo a blind review by members of the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee. Priority will be given to students who:
- Have not previously received any type of SVS travel scholarship;
- Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the VAM; and
- Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision via email in early spring. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their attendance at the VAM in order to receive the monetary travel award. Please note the travel award check will be payable directly to the student, and mailed after the VAM.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for additional information.