SVS Diversity Medical Student VAM Travel Scholarship
Submission Deadline: January 8, 2024 at 3pm CST (4pm EST).
Please read all the below information before applying.
This scholarship supports aspiring vascular surgeons attend the 2024 SVS Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM) on June 19-22 in Chicago, IL to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease, and to enhance the professional network of medical students from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities within the vascular surgery specialty. In addition to scientific sessions, the VAM offers medical students other valuable opportunities to learn about vascular surgery, including:
- Medical Student Sessions – walk away with tips from experts in the field on how to pursue and succeed in a vascular surgery career
- Mock Interview Session – receive constructive feedback provided in preparation for interviewing with a vascular surgery training program
- Residency Fair – explore vascular surgery residency and fellowship programs from across the continent, meet with program directors and coordinators, and ask questions about their programs
- SVS Connect@VAM – enjoy interacting with fellow students, residents, and vascular health professionals in a festive atmosphere
- VAM Mentoring Program – connect with a paired vascular surgeon/SVS mentor for guidance on experiencing VAM and career goals
- A financial award to be used toward the cost of travel expenses for VAM*
- Complimentary VAM registration
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed. Scholarship recipients will receive a mailed check after VAM pending meeting the terms and conditions outlined below. (Local scholarship recipients not eligible to receive the monetary award.)
- Active interest in vascular surgery
- Currently enrolled as:
- Medical Student; or
- Pre-Med Student
- Be part of a minority group based on gender or ethnicity
LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note that while local residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award, they are encouraged to apply in order to receive complimentary registration. Be sure to select "local student/resident" on the application form.
Scholarship Terms and Conditions:
Applicants selected will need to agree to the following terms and conditions in order to accept and receive the scholarship:
- Attend all days of VAM24 taking place June 19-22 in Chicago, IL*
- Check-in on site at VAM with SVS staff*
- Complete a post-VAM Resident-Student Program evaluation*
- Complete a follow-up survey in the future from SVS to assess outcomes of the VAM Resident-Student Program
*Required to receive mailed monetary award check after VAM.
- Applicants must have an SVS account before applying. Click here to create an account if you don't already have one.
- Complete all application tasks that includes:
- Demographic Information - Applicants must submit a complete online application providing demographic information such as training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
- Statement of Interest - Applicants must provide a written statement, no longer than 200 words, regarding their interest in vascular surgery and why they want to attend the VAM.
- Application submission agreement
- Complete and submit the application by Monday, January 8, 2024 at 3pm CST (4pm EST)
Applying for Multiple SVS VAM Travel Scholarships - Please note students are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award.
After the submission deadline, applications will undergo a blind review by members of the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee. Priority will be given to students who:
- Have not previously received any type of SVS travel scholarship;
- Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the VAM; and
- Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision via email in April 2024. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their VAM attendance and reconfirm their agreement to the above terms and conditions to receive the scholarship.
Please do not register and pay for VAM before finding out if you are a scholarship recipient! Enough notice will be provided on the status of applications to allow non-selected applicants time to register for VAM before the early bird registration deadline.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions or for additional information.