You are here
SVS General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Vascular Annual Meeting Travel Scholarship
SVS is funding travel scholarships for medical students and general surgery residents to the 2019 Vascular Annual Meeting. Pre-med students with a strong interest in vascular surgery also are encouraged to apply. Applications are due February 27, 2019.
These scholarships provide aspiring vascular surgeons with an opportunity to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease. During the meeting, trainees will be able to attend scientific sessions and network with leaders in the field. SVS will provide educational programming designed exclusively for students and residents. Scholarship recipients will also have the opportunity to participate in open and endovascular simulation training, attend didactic lectures geared specially toward them, as well as participate in a residency fair.
- A travel award to be used toward the cost of travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the Vascular Annual Meeting*
- Complimentary meeting registration
- Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session (open only to scholarship recipients)
- Dedicated General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Educational and Networking Program
- Opportunity to participate in a mock interview practice session
- Mentorship Program with Assigned Mentor/Welcome Buddy
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed.
- Active interest in vascular surgery
- Currently enrolled as:
- Medical Student; or
- Pre-Med Student; or
- General Surgery Resident
LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note that while local residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award, they are encouraged to apply for consideration to the Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session, in addition to receiving complimentary registration. Be sure to indicate "local student/resident" during the application process.
- Demographic Information
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing demographic information such as training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
- Statement of Interest
Applicants must also provide a statement regarding their interest in vascular surgery, and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting. The statement can be provided in two different ways, but please note that only one option can be chosen:
- Written Statement
No longer than 200 words and should express the applicant’s interest in vascular surgery, and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Video Statement
No more than two minutes in length and must convey the following:
- Full name, year in residency or medical school, and name of institution
- Interest in vascular surgery
- Why attending the 2019 Vascular Annual Meeting is appealing
- Written Statement
- In order to be considered for the scholarship, all applications must be complete.
- All scholarship applicants will be notified by early April regarding their application status.
Applying for Multiple SVS Scholarships:
Please note that students/residents are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award per year.
Online applications will undergo a blind review by the SVS Resident & Student Outreach Committee. (Due to their nature, video applications are not blinded.) Priority will be given to students/residents who:
- Have not previously received any type of SVS travel scholarship;
- Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the 2019 Vascular Annual Meeting; and
- Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision via email by early April. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their attendance at the resident/student scholarship program each day in order to receive the travel award. Please note that the travel award check will be payable directly to the student/resident and distributed on-site.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for additional information.