You are here
SVS Diversity Medical Student Vascular Annual Meeting Travel Scholarship
Deadline: May 19, 2021 (4pm ET)
In an effort to further establish meaningful and productive relationships between the scholarship recipients and minority vascular surgeon SVS members, recipients will be assigned a one-on-one mentor. Mentors will work with the recipient prior to the Vascular Annual Meeting and throughout the following year. A networking luncheon with members of the SVS Leadership Development Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee, as well as other vascular surgeon leaders, will be held at the Vascular Annual Meeting.
During the Vascular Annual Meeting, students will be able to attend scientific sessions and network with leaders in the field to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease. SVS will provide educational programming designed exclusively for students. Scholarship recipients will also have the opportunity to attend didactic lectures geared specially toward them, as well as participate in a residency fair.
- A travel award to be used toward the cost of travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the Vascular Annual Meeting*
- Complimentary meeting registration
- Mentorship Program with Assigned Minority Vascular Surgeon Mentor/Welcome Buddy
- Diversity Medical Student Scholarship Luncheon - now incorporated into the Meet the Leaders luncheon - with members of the SVS Leadership Development Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee/Mentors
- Opportunity to participate in a mock interview practice session
- Dedicated General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Educational and Networking Program
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed.
- Active interest in vascular surgery
- Currently enrolled as:
- Medical student in the United States or Canada; or
- Pre-Med student in the United States or Canada
- Be part of a minority group based on gender or ethnicity
- LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note that local residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award, but are encouraged to apply in order to receive complimentary registration. Be sure to select that you are a local student/resident on the application form.
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing demographic information such as ethnicity, training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
Statement of Interest
Applicants must also provide a statement regarding their interest in vascular surgery, and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting. The statement can be provided in two different ways, but please note that only one option can be chosen:
No longer than 200 words and should express the applicant’s interest in vascular surgery, and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Video Statement
No more than two minutes in length and convey the following:
- Full name, year in medical school, and name of institution
- Interest in vascular surgery
- Why attending the Vascular Annual Meeting is appealing
Applying for Multiple SVS Scholarships:
Please note students are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award per year.
Applications will undergo a blind review by members of the SVS Leadership Development Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee. (Due to their nature, video applications are not blinded.) Priority will be given to students who:
- Have not previously received any type of SVS travel scholarship;
- Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the 2021 Vascular Annual Meeting; and
- Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the committees' decision via email by mid-June. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their attendance at the resident/student scholarship program each day in order to receive the monetary travel award. Please note the travel award check will be payable directly to the student and distributed following the conclusion of the Vascular Annual Meeting.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for additional information.