You are here
SVS recognizes the growing importance of vascular surgery worldwide. As of January 2017, there were SVS members in 55 countries.
SVS International membership is available to surgeons outside the United States and Canada. The online application deadline is March 1 annually. Applicants are approved at the membership business meeting held during the Vascular Annual Meeting in June.
SVS Membership Benefits
- Exclusive use of SVS member logo in correspondence and practice information
- Discounted dues for members in some countries
- Discounted Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM) registration fees for many countries
- Free print subscriptions to Journal of Vascular Surgery and Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders
- Eligibility to compete for SVS awards and scholarships including international traveling fellowship
- Opportunity to participate in the International Forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM)
- International guest reception immediately following the International Forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM)
International members also enjoy the full benefits of membership, except they cannot vote on society business, hold elected office or serve as members of the Councils or Board of Directors.
Vascular Annual Meeting
The Vascular Annual Meeting is considered the premier meeting on vascular health. In addition to the outstanding sessions presented by leading vascular surgeons, the meeting offers opportunities to network with colleagues, experience the latest technology, and share knowledge. World-renowned researchers present their studies and findings during the meeting. Postgraduate courses provide in-depth knowledge on current vascular health topics.
The 2017 International Forum featured research by authors from throughout the world. The forum took place on Wednesday, May 31 at the 2017 Vascular Annual Meeting in San Diego. International authors presented abstract selections and each speaker had five minutes to present with an additional five minutes allotted for discussion. Abstracts from around the world were selected for this session.
International Scholars Program
The International Scholars Program provides scholarships to four qualified young vascular surgeons from countries outside North America to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting and visit medical and university sites following the meeting to observe clinical, teaching, and research activities in the United States and Canada. Since 2008, SVS has hosted 34 scholars from all over the world, including countries such Australia, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ireland, Latvia, Peru, Russia, Thailand, and Turkey. The scholarship program is funded in part by the Haimovici Endowment.
SVS International Chapters
There are ten existing SVS International chapters. International members are welcome to create international chapters in their country or region
Global Benefits of International Chapters
- Close ties among vascular specialists worldwide will benefit the specialty by providing a global perspective
- An opportunity for international societies to affiliate with the premier vascular society in North America
- Access to a Speakers Bureau for international meetings
- Opportunity to participate in an international paper forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM)
Existing International Chapters
- German speaking countries (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
President: Fausto Miranda Jr.
Vice-President: Arno von Ristow
General Secretary: Marcelo Rodrigo de Souza Moraes
Past President: Calogero Presti
President: Shenming Wang
Vice-President(s): Changwei Liu, Zaiping Jing, Weiguo Fu, Zhong Chen, Wei Guo
Secretary General: Wei Guo
Vice Secretary General: JinSong Wang
President: Rafael Garrido-Solano
Vice-President: Ignacio Ucros-Diaz
Secretary: Daniel Imbaburu-Lizarralde
Secretary Substitute: Alejandro Molina-Hernandez
Medical Auditor: Diego Fajardo-Saavedra
President: Ashraf M. Hidayet
President Elect: Hassan Soliman
Vice President: Saeed Al Mallah
Secretary General: Ahmed A. Taha
President: Gustav Fraedrich
Vice-President: Eike Sebastian Debus
Secretary: Lorenz Guerke
German Speaking Bylaws
President: Csaba Dzsinics
Secretary: Lajos Matyas
Treasurer: István Mogan
President: Kumud Rai
President: Carlo Setacci
Vice-President: Piergiorgio Settembrini
Secretary: Piergiorgio Cao
President: Tetsuro Miyata
Vice-President: Kimihiro Komori
President: Guillermo Aguilar Peralta
Vice-President: Benjamin Sanchez Martinez
Secretary: Carlos Hinojosa Becerril
President: Tomasz Zubilewicz
Secretary: Stanisław Przywara
President: Pyng Jing Lin
Vice President: Zen-Chung Weng, Yih-Sharng Chen
How to Develop an SVS Chapter
- There must be 15 SVS members in the country or region
- Proposed bylaws and officers must be developed
- Chapter status must be requested from SVS
- Detailed procedures to establish an international chapter.
International Relations Committee
The SVS International Relations Committee initiates and oversees SVS international activities.