You are here
Resident Research Award
Application deadline: January 17, 2018
The Resident Research Award is intended to motivate physicians early in their training to pursue their interest in research that explores the biology of vascular disease and potential translational therapies.
The Research and Education Committee selects one recipient for the Resident Research Award each year to have their research featured at the Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM).
The Resident Research Award is designed to provide special recognition of publication-quality original scientific work that has been unpublished in manuscript form. The recognition includes VAM plenary presentation before the membership of the Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS), a $5,000 award and a one-year complimentary subscription to the Journal of Vascular Surgery.
Eligibility for Selection
- The resident must be enrolled in a training program in the United States or Canada where the research is taking place.
- A member of the SVS must be a senior collaborator and must assume responsibility for the research.
- The research must be an original, scientifically-sound, hypothesis-driven exploration. It is expected that the majority of the research will have been performed by the resident. Priority is given to studies which elucidate the pathophysiology of vascular disease or explore novel therapeutic possibilities based on mechanisms of disease.
- The submitted work must not have been previously published or accepted for publication at the time of submission.
- The manuscript may be simultaneously submitted for publication but it must be under publication (online or print) embargo until after the resident’s presentation at VAM.
- An abstract of the work may simultaneously be submitted for consideration for presentation at the Vascular Research Initiatives Conference (VRIC). The Award winner will only be asked to present at VAM and not at the VRIC.
The following materials must be submitted via email to SVSFoundation@vascularsociety.org by January 17, 2018.
- An abstract and a complete manuscript. The manuscript title page should indicate which journal the manuscript will be submitted to and the anticipated date of submission. The manuscript format must comply with the Instructions for Authors for that journal. Please include all appendices/extended online text.
- Resident’s Curriculum Vitae
- A letter from the SVS sponsoring member, describing the resident’s contributions to the research, the SVS sponsoring member's role in the project and the resident's status in the training program where the research is taking place
All applicants will receive a confirmation email when their materials have been received.
Decisions regarding the Resident Research Award are mailed to the recipient by the end of March.
Vascular Annual Meeting and Vascular Research Initiatives Conference Information
Only the Resident Research Award winner is asked to present his or her findings at VAM. Presentation of basic research in vascular disease and surgery is the focus of the Vascular Research Initiatives Conference. In order to be considered for presentation at VRIC, and in the event the resident is not selected for the Resident Research Award, residents are encouraged to simultaneously submit their research abstract to the VRIC program at this link.
For information, email SVSFoundation@vascularsociety.org; telephone: 800-258-7188; fax: 312-334-2320.