You are here
E.J. Wylie Traveling Fellowship
Application deadline: March 1, 2019
The primary purpose of the E.J. Wylie Traveling Fellowship is to provide the recipient with the opportunity to visit a number of excellent vascular surgery centers worldwide. Though brief, these visits stimulate academic inspiration, promote international exchange, and foster development of fellowship in vascular surgery. The achievement of these objectives will enhance the development of the fellow's career in vascular surgery.
This award is not intended to support specific research interests but rather to assist the fellow in a unique opportunity for travel and professional exchange within established vascular centers.
The generosity of W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc., has allowed the establishment of this fellowship. Their graciousness ensures the noncommercial nature of the award and its continuation in years to come. The E.J. Wylie Traveling Fellowship of the SVS® Foundation pays up to US$12,000 for expenses of travel, research, and clerical help. The fellowship monies may not be used for other purposes.
Eligibility for Selection
- Be an Active Member of SVS (SVS Candidate members, fellows or residents are not eligible).
- Have completed a postgraduate vascular training program within the past 10 years
- Be committed to an academic career in vascular surgery and have obtained an academic appointment in a medical school or freestanding clinic devoted to excellence in medical education
- Have a demonstrated record of success in pursuing clinical or basic science research sufficient to ensure academic excellence in his or her pursuit of a career in vascular surgery
- Applicants who have received prior traveling fellowships may apply. Special consideration will be given to those applicants who have not previously received a traveling fellowship.
Application materials listed below should be submitted via the online application submission site on or before March 1. Applications may be rejected if formatting requirements are not followed or application is incomplete. Decisions regarding the award will be mailed to applicants in April.
- 500-word essay describing the objectives of the applicant's travel plans and linking these to his or her career goals
- List of the centers that the applicant wants to visit
- Curriculum vitae (PDF format)
- Three letters of recommendation (in PDF format) from (1) the applicant's division chief (2) the chairperson of the department of surgery of the institution in which the applicant holds a faculty appointment, and (3) a colleague.
Fellow’s Report to Committee
A report covering the experience should be prepared and forwarded to the Research and Education Committee within three months of completion of the fellowship travel. This typed report should be five to eight double-spaced pages and should summarize activities during the fellowship. Although factual statements of activities should be included, fellowship recipients are encouraged to place these within an overall context of their impact on their education and maturation. Any publication of the fellowship activities should acknowledge the E.J. Wylie Traveling Fellowship Award from the SVS Foundation.
For questions, email SVSFoundation@vascularsociety.org or telephone 800-258-7188.