You are here
Health and Safety Protocols
VAM 2021 Health and Safety Protocols
The SVS leadership and management team are thrilled to be hosting an in-person VAM this August! The protection and safety of our attendees remains our top priority. We are working diligently with our partners and vendors to ensure the necessary safety measures are in place. We are committed to creating a safe and healthy environment for all our attendees, exhibitors, and team members.
The on-site health and safety measures will be defined in the coming months. At a minimum, you can expect the following health and safety protocols to be in place:
San Diego Convention Center GBAC Cleaning Standards
The San Diego Convention Center has received the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC) Star™ certification. The GBAC certification enforces strict standards for cleaning, disinfection and infectious disease prevention including:
- A continual cleaning and disinfecting routine will be enforced throughout the convention center during event hours and overnight, especially in high-touch areas. Cleaning and disinfecting products that are on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-approved list will be used to combat the spread of COVID-19.
- Disinfectant wipe dispensers will be strategically placed near commonly touched objects.
- Restrooms will be regularly and thoroughly disinfected during event hours and include the following touch-free items: soap dispensers, sink faucets, toilet fixtures, paper-towel and toilet paper dispensers.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be provided near building entrances, meetings rooms, and lobbies. Touch-free dispensers will be used wherever possible and a schedule will be established for re-filling the stations.
As local San Diego city and county guidelines for in-person meetings continue to evolve, SVS is committed to enforce the following on-site protocols:
- Proof of Vaccination/Negative COVID test (within 72 hours of travel). All attendees, exhibitors, staff and VAM suppliers will be required to provide proof of vaccination OR negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of arrival date in San Diego.
- Masks: All attendees are required to wear a mask while inside the San Diego Convention Center. If you are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, you will be required to wear a face shield in lieu of a mask.
- Physical Distancing: All attendees should expect physical distancing in high traffic areas, session rooms, exhibit floor, and throughout the event space in accordance with local and venue regulations.
- Cleaning: Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the event. All high-touch areas will be placed on a visible continual cleaning and disinfecting routine during event hours and overnight.
- Exhibit Hall: SVS will adhere to the capacity standards in accordance with local and state authorities to control the density of the show floor while allowing for the appropriate physical distancing. One-way traffic flow patterns will be in force.
- Food and Beverage: All food and beverage will be provided in a no-contact way.
- One-way directional arrows will be put in place and enforced to alleviate aisle traffic on the exhibit hall floor.
- Facility staff will be deployed to monitor flow of traffic and alleviate congestion in key traffic areas to support physical distancing.
- Chairs will be distanced in conference sessions in accordance with local and state guidelines to reduce capacities in all rooms.
- Signage with health and safety guideline reminders will be posted in highly visible areas throughout the building.
- The registration area will be expanded to allow for adequate distancing. Shields will be affixed to all registration counters. Lanyards and badge holders will be packages in individual plastic bags.
- All attendees are urged to refrain from handshaking.
- All attendees, exhibitors, staff and VAM suppliers will be subject to daily temperature checks.
- All attendees are required to wear a mask while inside the San Diego Convention Center. If you are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, you will be required to wear a face shield in lieu of a mask.
- Attendees are encouraged to bring their own masks (plus an extra one!) for use during the event. Masks will be available for those who do not have their own.
- Per the San Diego Public Health Department, the SVS has updated its registration system to gather required mobile telephone numbers needed to ensure traceability of all attendees and staff during scheduled meeting times. All data and personal information will remain secure and confidential and will only be shared with public health officials should a situation arise.
- Protocols for care will be in place should an attendee present COVID-19 symptoms.
Food and Beverage Service
- Water bottles will be encouraged, and water bottle fill stations will be placed in strategic locations throughout the building. These areas are part of the continual cleaning and disinfecting routine during event hours and overnight.
- Food and beverage services will be modified to minimize contact and restrict any self-servicing.
- Heightened cleaning protocols for high-traffic areas such as the front desk, fitness centers and pools, as well as other high-touch surfaces throughout the hotel, using hospital-grade disinfectant approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to combat the spread of COVID-19.
- Reduced contact at check-in and digital check-in provided.
- Furniture arrangements designed to encourage appropriate social distancing in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Housekeeping "on-demand" options that allows guests to request delivery of additional toiletries, towels, linens or coffee without having a housekeeper enter the room.
- Many hotels are replacing their breakfast buffet option with pre-packaged breakfast items.
- New service approaches to buffets, banquets, and contactless or designated pickup areas for room-service.