Translating Guidelines into Practice: Global Vascular Guideline on the Management of Patients with CLTI
A SERIES OF THREE FREE VIRTUAL INTERACTIVE ROUNDTABLE SESSIONS
Currently, only registration for the first session is available. Registration for the 2nd and 3rd sessions will open as their dates come closer.
Session 1 Topic: Overall Healthcare Needs and Medical Therapies for Newly Diagnosed CLTI Patients
Monday, August 15, 2022
6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Central Time
Continue reading for more session details, or jump to your section of interest.
- Faculty and Moderators
- Target audience
- Learning Objectives
- Session 1 Schedule
- Recommended Reading
Featuring Internationally Recognized Speakers on PAD
Sonia Anand, MD, PhD, FRCPC
Joshua Beckman, MD, MD
Marc Bonaca, MD, MPH
Jonathan Golledge, BA MB BChir MA MChi
The moderators of the three sessions are the lead authors of the guidelines being discussed.
John White, MD
Joseph Mills, MD
Michael Conte, MD
US and internationally-based surgeons (vascular, general, plastic, and orthopedic), interventionalists (radiologists, cardiologists), podiatrists, wound care providers, rehabilitation medicine specialists, orthotists and physical therapists, and residents and trainees in these disciplines, physicians and non-physician clinicians (e.g., nurse practitioners and physician assistants) involved in the management of patients with Chronic limb-threatening ischemia (CLTI)
- Review contemporary data on the overall burden of cardiovascular disease in the CLTI population, and practice gaps in the use of guideline-directed optimal medical therapy (OMT) in patients with advanced PAD/CLTI
- Discuss optimal lipid-lowering management and antithrombotic management of the patient with CLTI during different phases of their care e.g., pre- and post-revascularization.
- Discuss optimal glycemic and blood pressure control in CLTI pts
- Learn methods to achieve smoking cessation in CLTI patients.
The three sessions will be helpful in expanding physician knowledge base and improving clinical confidence and effectiveness in treating patients with CLTI. The focus of the first webinar will be on the overall medical care of these patients. The session will describe the current state of optimal medical management (OMT) and how it applies to patients like yours. An important focus will be on recent developments in antithrombotic, antihypertensive, and lipid-lowering management and how to best achieve smoking cessation for your patients.
The session will consist of four renowned physicians describing how they would use risk reduction therapies to initiate care of patients with CLTI. Rather than a simple overview of appropriate medications, the physicians will use a single sample patient to design treatment strategies and demonstrate how to put the recommendations from the global vascular guidelines into practice. A short survey will be conducted before and after the session, and follow-up survey will follow 60 days later to gauge and evaluate if guidelines were easy to translate into daily clinical practice. Participants will receive the clinical practice guidelines, implementation tools consisting of guideline pocket guides, and link to the app to ensure practicality in aiding participants in improving their clinical practice.
Moderator: John White, MD
- 6:00- 6:05 PM Pre-Survey
- 6:05- 6:10 PM Introduction and Overview. Dr. White
- 6:10- 6:20 PM Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar Control. Dr. Anand
- 6:20- 6:30 PM Statin Therapy and Lipid Management. Dr. Beckman
- 6:30- 6:40 PM Recent developments and novel approaches in antithrombotic therapy in PAD. Dr. Bonaca
- 6:40- 6:50 PM Best methods to achieve smoking cessation: Challenging but worthwhile. Dr. Golledge
- 6:50- 7:20 PM Panel Discussion with all speakers and Drs. Conte, Mills and White
- 7:20-7:30 PM Post-Survey
- Mills Sr JL, Conte MS, Armstrong DG, Pomposelli FB, Schanzer A, Sidawy AN, et al. The Society for Vascular Surgery Lower Extremity Threatened Limb Classification System: risk stratification based on wound, ischemia, and foot infection (WIfI). J Vasc Surg 2014;59:220e234.e1-2.
- Conte MS, Bradbury AW, Kolh P, White JV, Dick F, Fitridge R, Mills JL, Ricco JB, Suresh KR, Murad MH. Global vascular guideline on the management of chronic limb-threatening ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2019;69(6s):1-122.
- Conte MS, Bradbury AW, Kolh P, White JV, Dick F, Fitridge R, Mills JL, Ricco JB, Suresh KR, Murad MH. Global vascular guideline on the management of chronic limb-threatening ischemia. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2019 Jul;58(1S):S1-S109.e33.
- Thanigaimani S, Drovandi A, Golledge J. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials evaluating the efficacy of smoking cessation interventions in people with peripheral artery disease. J Vasc Surg. 2022 Feb;75(2):721-729.e7.
- Bhushan R, Lebwohl MG, Gottlieb AB, Boyer K, Hamarstrom E, Korman NJ, Kirsner RS, Sober AJ, et al. Translating Psoriasis Guidelines into Practice. Important Gaps revealed. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015
Session 2: September 12, 2022 | Diagnosis and staging of the limb | Moderator: Joseph Mills, MD
Session 3: October 10, 2022 | Revascularization | Moderator: Michael Conte, MD
This educational concept and content were solely developed by the Society for Vascular Surgery. This activity is partially funded by a block grant from WL GORE and Associates, Inc.