You are here
Clinical Practice Guidelines
About Our Guidelines
Society for Vascular Surgery guidelines evaluate the evidence in the scientific literature, assess the likely benefits and harms of a particular treatment, and enable healthcare providers to select the best care for a unique patient based on his or her preferences.
The Society develops clinical practice guidelines to aid its members and their patients in the decision-making process. SVS committees draw upon systematic reviews of the available evidence to inform its key recommendations. Reviews are performed by the Knowledge and Encounter Research (KER) Unit of the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn. The methodology used for SVS clinical practice guidelines can be found in the Journal of Vascular Surgery.
The SVS has made three of its most recent practice guidelines available as digital pocket guidelines through GuidelineCentral. The guidelines are:
- Management of Diabetic Foot
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Venous Leg Ulcers
Follow the link below to access the digital guidelines; printed pocket guides are also available for purchase. Non-members must purchase the guidelines individually, starting at $8.99.
To request your free download links (SVS Members), email your full name to Guidelines@VascularSociety.org for membership verification.
Educational Slide Sets
These slide sets have been developed as a resource for members to incorporate into their own presentations regarding specific guidelines.
Clinical Practice Guidelines
The Management of Diabetic Foot: A Clinical Practice Guideline by the Society for Vascular Surgery in Collaboration with the American Podiatric Medical Association and the Society for Vascular Medicine
J Vasc Surg 2016;special supplement published February 2016
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of glycemic control for the prevention of diabetic foot syndrome.
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of tests to predict wound healing in diabetic foot.
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of débridement methods for chronic diabetic foot ulcers.
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of adjunctive therapies in diabetic foot ulcers.
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of off-loading methods for diabetic foot ulcers.
Society for Vascular Surgery Practice Guidelines for Atherosclerotic Occlusive Disease of the Lower Extremities: Management of Asymptomatic Disease and Claudication
J Vasc Surg 2015;published online January 28, 2015
- A systematic review for the screening for peripheral arterial disease in asymptomatic patients.
- A systematic review of treatment of intermittent claudication in the lower extremities.
Management of venous leg ulcers: Clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery® and the American Venous Forum
J Vasc Surg 2014;60:3S-59S (August 2014 Supplement)
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of surgical interventions versus conservative therapy for venous ulcers. [PDF]
- Incidence of diagnosed deep vein thrombosis in the general population: systematic review
- A systematic review of percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy in the treatment of deep venous thrombosis
- Treatment of acute iliofemoral deep vein thrombosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Diagnostic value of CT for deep vein thrombosis: results of a systematic review and meta-analysis
- The accuracy of MRI in diagnosis of suspected deep vein thrombosis: systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Pharmacomechanical thrombolysis of acute and chronic symptomatic deep vein thrombosis: a systematic review of literature.
Updated Society for Vascular Surgery guidelines for management of extracranial carotid disease
J Vasc Surg 2011;54:e1-e31
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials of carotid endarterectomy vs stenting [PDF]
The care of patients with varicose veins and associated chronic venous diseases: Clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery and the American Venous Forum
J Vasc Surg 2011;53:2S-48S (May 2011 Supplement)
- Comparative effectiveness of the treatments for aortic transaction: a systematic review and meta-analysis
The Society for Vascular Surgery Practice Guidelines: Management of the left subclavian artery with thoracic endovascular aortic repair
J Vasc Surg 2009;50:1155-8
Management of atherosclerotic carotid artery disease: Clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery
J Vasc Surg 2008;48:480-6
The Society for Vascular Surgery: Clinical practice guidelines for the surgical placement and maintenance of arteriovenous hemodialysis access
J Vasc Surg 2008;48:2S-25S (November 2008 Supplement)