You are here
From Beaches to Birds to Brews, Enjoy San Diego
Our Vascular Annual Meeting has plenty to occupy attendees from morning to evening. But before and after VAM, and for family members during the meeting, San Diego beckons.
The weather should be just beautiful, with pleasant temperatures and dry weather. Lows at the beginning of June range from 60 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit and highs from 69 to 73 degrees. (Note: temperatures rise rapidly throughout the month of June.)
Participants will stay at the beautiful Marriot Marquis San Diego Marina, which adjoins the San Diego Convention Center, the site for VAM. The hotel – two curved towers on San Diego Bay –offers a spa, fitness center, outdoor pools and seating area, several restaurants with American, Mexican and Asian-Fusion menus. Its location in downtown San Diego puts it at the center of many attractions.
As for what to do? Here are just a few ideas.
• Balboa Park, home to the world-famous San Diego Zoo and considered the city’s cultural hub
• Mission Beach, one of the most popular shorelines in the city.
• Coronado Beach, just across the bay and featuring the Hotel del Coronado, where the movie classic “Some Like it Hot” was filmed
• The historic Gaslamp Quarter, 16 blocks of Victorian-style buildings housing shops, restaurants, art galleries and more
• Torrey Pines State Preserve
• New Children’s Museum, steps from the hotel
• Cabrillo National Monument, depicting Juan Cabrillo, the first European explorer to navigate the California coast (in 1542)
• USS Midway Museum
• Sunset Cliffs Natural Park, with breathtaking views and dramatic sandstone cliffs.
• Petco Park, where the San Diego Padres play two home stands during our VAM stay. The Padres will battle the Chicago Cubs May 29-31 and the Colorado Rockies June 2-4.
For overall exploration, there are boat tours, walking tours and trolley tours. In addition, San Diego has become well-known for its craft beer industry, with more than 130 breweries from which to choose. The New York Times even dubbed it a “sunny heaven for suds lovers.” Some of our California members have specifically mentioned Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits, Green Flash Brewing Co. and Stone Brewing Liberty Station.