You are here
SVS/ACS Health Policy Scholarship
The closing date for receipt of applications is February 1, 2017.
The American College of Surgeons and the Society for Vascular Surgery are offering an annual scholarship to subsidize attendance and participation in the Executive Leadership Program in Health Policy and Management at Brandeis University. The course takes place June 4-10, 2017.
The award is in the amount of $8,000, to be used toward the cost of tuition, travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the course.
Eligibility for Selection
- The award is open to surgeons who are members in good standing of both the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) as a SVS Candidate or Active Member who has completed postgraduate clinical training in vascular surgery.
- Must be at least 30 years old, but under 60, on the date that the completed application is filed.
An awardee will be selected by a committee consisting of members of ACS and SVS. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the selection process by early April 2017. Applications for this scholarship consist of the following items, submitted in this order as a single PDF:
- Cover sheet
- Applicant name
- Applicant’s preferred mailing address
- Applicant’s e-mail
- Name of scholarship: ACS/SVS Scholarship
- One-page essay, discussing:
- Why the applicant wishes to receive the scholarship
- How the scholarship will fill a gap in applicant’s training or experience
- Goals or plans to use the newly acquired knowledge or skills in his or her practice or community
- Applicant's current CV (10 pages or fewer, please)
Application for this award may be submitted even if comparable applications to other organizations have been made. If the recipient accepts a similar scholarship from another agency or organization, the scholarship will be withdrawn. It is the responsibility of the recipient to notify the Scholarships Section of ACS, which administers this award, of competing awards.
The scholarship must be used in the year for which it is designated. It cannot be postponed.
The Scholars are required to provide one year’s health policy-related assistance to the ACS and the SVS; attending meetings, reviewing applications, and participating as a pro tem member of the health policy committee as requested. The College anticipates that program alumni will serve as state councillors for the SurgeonsVoice program, its grassroots initiative aimed at establishing relationships with Members of Congress.
A brief report of the Scholar’s experiences and activities is due at the conclusion of the course and of the scholarship period. A simple accounting is also required.
Please email PDF applications for this scholarship to: email@example.com
Questions may be directed to the ACS Scholarships Administrator at 312-202-5281. For more information, visit the site for The Heller School's Executive Education Program.