You are here
SVS General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Vascular Annual Meeting Travel Scholarship
The application process is now closed for the 2017 Scholarship.
Applicants will be notified by late-March of the status of their submission.
SVS is funding travel scholarships for medical students and general surgery residents to the 2017 Vascular Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA. Pre-med students with a strong interest in vascular surgery also are encouraged to apply.
These scholarships provide aspiring vascular surgeons with an opportunity to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease. During the meeting, trainees will be able to attend scientific sessions and network with leaders in the field. SVS will provide educational programming designed exclusively for students and residents. Scholarship recipients will also have the opportunity to participate in open and endovascular simulation training, attend didactic lectures geared specially toward them, as well as participate in a residency fair. Follow this link to learn more about the fellow/resident/student educational and networking program.
- Up to a $450 travel award* (to be used toward the cost of travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the Vascular Annual Meeting)
- Complimentary meeting registration ($315 value)
- NEW! Free access to the On-Demand Library of session recordings after the event ($499 value)
- Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session (open only to scholarship recipients)
- Dedicated General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Educational and Networking Program
- Opportunity to participate in a mock interview practice session
- Mentorship Program with Assigned Mentor/Welcome Buddy
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed.
- Active interest in vascular surgery
- Currently enrolled as:
- Medical Student; or
- Pre-Med Student; or
- General Surgery Resident.
LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note that local residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award but are encouraged to apply to be considered for an invitation to the Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session, as well as receive complimentary registration ($300 value). Please be sure to select you are a local student/resident on the application form.
- Demographic Information
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing demographic information such as training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
- Statement of Interest
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing a statement regarding their interest in vascular surgery and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting. The statement can be provided in two different ways, but please note that only one option can be chosen:
- Written Statement
The written statement must be no longer than 200 words and should express the applicant’s interest in vascular surgery and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Video Statement
The video must be must be no more than two minutes in length and convey the following:
- Full name, year in residency or medical school, and name of institution
- Interest in vascular surgery
- Why attending the 2017 Vascular Annual Meeting is appealing
- Written Statement
In the online application, video statements will be submited by uploading the video to YouTube and sharing the link.
- In order to be considered for the scholarship, all applications must be complete.
- All scholarship applicants will be notified by early April regarding their application status.
Applying for Multiple SVS Scholarships
Please note that students/residents are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award per year.
Online applications will undergo a blind review by the SVS Resident & Student Outreach Committee. Due to the nature of applications, video applications are not blinded. For all applications, priority will be given to students/residents who:
- Have not previously received any type of SVS Travel Scholarship;
- Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the 2017 Vascular Annual Meeting; and
- Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision via email by early April. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their attendance at the resident/student scholarship program each day in order to receive the $450 travel award. Please note that the travel award check will be payable directly to the student/resident and distributed onsite.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for additional information.