You are here
SVS Diversity Medical Student Vascular Annual Meeting Travel Scholarship
Sponsored by the SVS Leadership Development and Diversity Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee.
The 2018 application process will open late November/early December.
SVS is funding Diversity Medical Student travel scholarships to provide aspiring vascular surgeons with an opportunity to attend the 2018 Vascular Annual Meeting in Boston, MA, to enhance the professional network of medical students from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities within the vascular surgery specialty. Minority pre-med students with a strong interest in vascular surgery also are encouraged to apply.
In an effort to further establish meaningful and productive relationships between the scholarship recipients and minority vascular surgeon SVS members, recipients will be assigned a one-on-one mentor. Mentors will work with the recipient prior to the Vascular Annual Meeting and throughout the following year. A networking luncheon with members of the SVS Leadership Development and Diversity Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee, as well as other vascular surgeon leaders, will be held at the 2018 Vascular Annual Meeting.
During the Vascular Annual Meeting, students will be able to attend scientific sessions and network with leaders in the field to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease. SVS will provide educational programming designed exclusively for students. Scholarship recipients will also have the opportunity to participate in open and endovascular simulation training, attend didactic lectures geared specially toward them, as well as participate in a residency fair.
- Up to a $450 travel award* (to be used toward the cost of travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the Vascular Annual Meeting)
- Complimentary meeting registration
- Free access to the On-Demand Library of session recordings after the event ($499 value)
- Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session (scholarship recipients only)
- Mentorship Program with Assigned Minority Vascular Surgeon Mentor/Welcome Buddy
- Exclusive Diversity Medical Student Scholarship Luncheon with members of the SVS Leadership Development and Diversity Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee/Mentors
- Opportunity to participate in a mock interview practice session
- Dedicated General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Educational and Networking Program
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed.
- Active interest in vascular surgery
- Currently enrolled as:
- Medical student in the United States or Canada; or
- Pre-Med student in the United States or Canada
- Be part of a minority group based on ethnicity/race
- LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note that local residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award, but are encouraged to apply for consideration to the Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session, Diveristy Medical Student Scholarship Luncheon, in addition to receiving complimentary registration. Be sure to select that you are a local student/resident on the application form.
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing demographic information such as race/ethnicity, training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
Statement of Interest
Applicants must also provide a statement regarding their interest in vascular surgery, and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting. The statement can be provided in two different ways, but please note that only one option can be chosen:
No longer than 200 words and should express the applicant’s interest in vascular surgery, and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Video Statement
No more than two minutes in length and convey the following:
- Full name, year in medical school, and name of institution
- Interest in vascular surgery
- Why attending the 2018 Vascular Annual Meeting is appealing
- In order to be considered for the scholarship, all applications must be complete.
- All scholarship applicants will be notified in early April regarding their application status.
Applying for Multiple SVS Scholarships:
Please note students are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Diversity Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award per year.
Applications will undergo a blind review by members of the SVS Leadership Development and Diversity Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee. (Due to their nature, video applications are not blinded.) Priority will be given to students who:
- Have not previously received any type of SVS travel scholarship;
- Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the 2018 Vascular Annual Meeting; and
- Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the committees' decision via email by early April. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their attendance at the resident/student scholarship program each day in order to receive the monetary travel award. Please note the travel award check will be payable directly to the student and distributed on-site.
Report to Committee:
A report covering the experience should be prepared and forwarded to the SVS Leadership Development and Diversity Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee within three months of completion after attending the Vascular Annual Meeting. The typed report should be 1 - 2 double-spaced pages, and summarize activities during the Vascular Annual Meeting. Although factual statements of activities should be included, recipients are encouraged to place these within an overall context of the impact on professional and personal development. Any publication of these activities should acknowledge the SVS Leadership Development and Diversity Committee and the SVS Resident and Student Outreach Committee.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for additional information.